Davenport building collapses in Iowa: Body of Branden Colvin Sr.  found, officials said, 2 still missing

DAVENPORT, Iowa — The body of one of three men who went missing after the partial collapse of an apartment building in Davenport, Iowa, has been found, a city official said Sunday.

Branden Colvin Sr.'s body was found Saturday, said city spokeswoman Sarah Ott. Two other men – 51-year-old Ryan Hitchcock and 60-year-old Daniel Prien – have still not been found. Colvin, 42, is the first person confirmed to have died in the collapse.

No other details will be released soon.

The video in this story is from a previous report

The Quad-City Times reported that Colvin's son, Branden Colvin Jr., graduated high school on Saturday. He and the rest of the family are almost always at the crash site, hoping for a miracle.

The discovery of Colvin's body came a day after authorities announced that the search for survivors was over, with attention turning to shoring up the structure so recovery efforts could begin.

The remains of the six-story apartment building continued to move in the first 24 to 36 hours after it collapsed on May 28, which officials said posed a risk to rescuers trying to find survivors.

City officials said earlier that Colvin, Hitchcock and Prien had “most likely been at home at the time of the collapse.”

Authorities said that searching the building was extremely dangerous – and the building was constantly shifting and at risk of further collapse, putting rescuers at great risk. The Iowa task force concluded its search for survivors Thursday and began focusing on shoring up structures for recovery efforts.

“We are doing the best we can to balance the condition of the building and the safety of our responders,” Fire Chief Mike Carlsten told reporters at a briefing after the collapse. He said conditions had forced a response that may take “days and weeks” instead of the ideal few minutes or hours.

Mayor Mike Matson said the pile of debris “could become a resting place for some people who have yet to be found.”

Work to tear down the building is continuing amid questions about why neither the owners nor city officials warned residents of the potential danger even after a structural engineer's report issued just days before the collapse indicated the century-old building's walls were at imminent risk. collapse.

Documents released by the city government showed that city officials and the building's owner had been warned for months that part of the building was unstable.

Tenants have also complained to the city in recent years about a number of problems they say property managers are ignoring, including no heating or hot water for weeks or even months, and mold and water leaks from ceilings and toilets. While city officials tried to address some of the complaints and issued orders to vacate individual apartments, a wider evacuation was never ordered, records show.

Current and former residents alerted The Associated Press about interior cracks in a wall that eventually collapsed which were reported to building management.

Andrew Wold, the landlord, issued a statement dated May 30 saying “our thoughts and prayers are with our tenants.” He has made no statement since then, and attempts to contact him, his company, and a man believed to be his attorney have been unsuccessful.

County records show Davenport Hotel LLC acquired the building in a 2021 deal worth $4.2 million.