A woman died and two children were among six others injured late Tuesday in a car crash in North Park.
The collision occurred near the intersection of West Peterson and North Kimball roads, causing one car to roll over.
At approximately 7:50 p.m., a six-seater Kia SUV was heading east on West Peterson Avenue when it was struck at an intersection by an 18-year-old driver in a Saturn sedan, Chicago police said.
- Zainab Suboh, 78, was taken to Saint Francis Hospital in Evanston and died from multiple blunt force injuries, according to police and the Cook County medical examiner's office.
- An 81-year-old man was also brought to St. Francis, where he was listed as in critical condition, police said.
- A 3 year old boy and 7 year old girl were brought to Lurie Children's Hospital in reasonable condition.
- One woman, 36, was taken to Lutheran General Hospital, where she was listed as in critical condition.
- The driver of the SUV, a 46-year-old man, was also taken to Lutheran and was listed as in reasonable condition.
- The sedan driver was taken to the Illinois Masonic Medical Center, where he is also doing well.
An employee at a fast food restaurant near the crash site said he heard a loud crash. The employee said he was not surprised to see an accident happen there.
“This is a bad intersection,” said the employee who asked not to be named. “They always try to beat the light.”
The victims' belongings were strewn around the vehicle, including children's shoes and clothes.